Monday, January 27, 2014

Make-Up Monday: A pretty face, doesn't have to cost a pretty penny

There are SOOOO many make-up products out there. According to an InStyle.com article from 2013, women spend an average of $15,000 on make-up in their lifetime. This estimate doesn't even mention all the other money we spend on the various other beauty products like cleaners, moisturizers, tonics, and more (but we will save that for another post).

A couple of years ago I stumbled upon E.L.F. or Eyes Lips Face products. This label had caught my eye before at discount and big box stores, but to my amazement and delight, those in store products are only the tip of the iceberg of what E.L.F. offers on their website. This company offers not only VERY affordable, but also very nice quality cosmetics, and most of their products are non-comedogenic (meaning they won't clog pores). Side note: they also have fantastic brushes!

As a licensed esthetician and make-up artist some people are surprised to know that the majority of my personal use and even much of my professional use cosmetics are E.L.F. brand. Don't get me wrong, there are many other great cosmetic lines out there that I also love, but this would be a LOOONNNNNGGGG post if we got into all that, so here are some take-it, and leave-it reviews of a few E.L.F. products.

Take-It:

Mineral Face Cleanser
This stuff rocks! It is a powder that you just add water too and it suds right up into a fantastic face cleanser. It is also chock full of fantastic ingredients like aloe, jojoba, green tea, and vitamin E.

Mineral Concealer
I have tried many different mineral brands, and even though this line is a fraction of the cost of most, I actually like it best! It also has an SPF of 15. Sun protection is always a welcome bonus.


Mineral Foundation
Same as above with the concealer. I always recommend using the foundation first, and then the concealer to, well, conceal anything other areas that may need it. This stuff has even helped heal the occasional break out for me. The best way to apply it is with the this kabuki brush...which I use daily and love! Because they are so affordable, I recommend buying two, so you have one when the other is maybe wet from washing.

Flawless Finish Full Coverage Foundation
This stuff is fantastic for a night out on the town, or an event where you may want more of a full coverage than you may get from a mineral make-up. Apply it with this foundation brush and then pat into the skin with clean fingers in hard to reach places like around the eye, in crease of chin, and around the nose.

Eye Shadow Pallet
I can say that I didn't expect much from these pallets because of the $1 price tag, but boy was I wrong. I love all of the e.l.f. brand shadows, but these are great for your everyday wear. Because of the price tag, get one in every color! Not a fan of the applicator, as I prefer to use a brush.


Contouring Blush and Bronzer
I use this on a daily basis along side the mineral foundation and concealer. Use the bronzer just under your cheek bones, and the blush on the apples of your cheek, and cheek bone. Then blend with a large brush (one you only use for blending).



Leave It:

Mineral Natural Volumizing Mascara
This just wasn't a favorite. I didn't think it gave much "volume" to my lashes, and it seemed to flake. Some other users swear by it, and for the price, try it. If you love it, great! If you don't, you aren't out much.


Lotion Wipes
Okay, so these don't fall under the category of "make-up" but honestly there isn't much in their make-up that I wouldn't recommend. These smell great and there are many different kinds to choose from. Maybe if I didn't have desert dry skin they would have worked better for me. These would be great for travel I think, but for daily use, I say pass this one by. Again, just opinions.




What make-up product do you never leave home without?

*all pictures used were from the e.l.f. website

No comments:

Post a Comment