Monday, January 27, 2014

Work On It Wednesday: Small steps for a woman, giant leaps for organization

This year, one of my goals is to get my house in order. We moved into our new home in early May of 2013, and had our first child in October. Needless to say, I was not super motivated to clean and organize in the middle of summer, as a pregzilla. So I decided to regain some control of my castle, one step at a time. I started with what my husband calls "the spoiled closet" which is the smallest closet in the house and holds my purses, scarves, and shoes.

Thrift and dollar stores are some of my closest friends, and really helped in this project. I spent a total of 8 dollars to kick this project off!

1. I was able to get all of my slip on shoes off the floor with a $5 over the door shoe organizer from the dollar store, BUT instead of hanging the organizer from the back of the door, I hung it from the hang rack itself, which worked perfectly. 

2. Instead of eating up hang bar space with scarves, I used three (awesome pink) hangers that I had on hand, and organized them into three catagories: warm weather, solid colors, and prints/graphic scarves. This helps me accessorize outfits quickly, while holding a squirmy little person on hip.

3. I picked up an awesome hanging organizer from my local thrift shop for $3. It is actually a child clothing organizer from Pottery Barn Kids, but I decided it would work perfectly for my collection of bags. I hung larger bags from shower rings on the hang bar, and smaller bags, or oddly shaped purses tucked into the little cubbies at the bottom of the hanging organizer. All of my wallets are tucked into some pockets at the size of the organizer.

4. As a "for now fix" I organized all of our cold weather hats and gloves into two plastic bags: his and hers. I then hung those bags from shower rings on the hang rack. 

This all took about 30 minutes to do, and opened up A LOT of room on the floor and high shelves.  Now I am on the lookout for a way to get all of my boots up off the floor. 




       Before organizing scarves                                             After organizing scarves
                          




After organizing purses (I got too excited about this project and forgot to take my before shot)


















What tips do you have for your closet organizing?

No comments:

Post a Comment