Monday, February 3, 2014

Make-Up Monday: My Acne Battle

Cystic acne runs in my family. My father has battled with it his entire life. I thought I was free from this fret, as in my teens I didn't have many skin issues. However, the combination of moving across the country, planning my wedding, and the normal hormonal fun that comes with being a woman, created the perfect storm for my skin. I broke out, and broke out bad! I started doing research and came across a fantastic website that was more than tips, but was also a skin support group, called Acne.org. This site has been around for over 13 years, and is full of personal trial and errors with numerous over the counter and prescription treatments.

After some experimenting with my own concoctions, I decided to try "the regiment" from the site's store, and the results are just... WOW! It is a little more than over the counter potions you may find at your closest big box store, but it also lasts longer, and is of much higher quality. For under $45, you will get all three products in the regiment to last you for about 40 days.

I have been using the regiment now for three years, and every time I stopped using it (because I thought I knew better), the skin storm returned. So for me, this is THE STUFF!

The regiment is three easy steps, done twice daily, with a few added tips to make sure it works to its fullest potential.

First is the cleanser. We your face, and then with wet hands, add one pump of the cleanser, and get it nice and foamy. Wash for 10 seconds, any longer you just start drying the skin. It works very well to remove even the best make up, but if you have any issues, wash again, with just one pump, and for only 5 seconds, and every trace of make up will be gone.
8 oz. Cleanser





Then comes the treatment. After your face has completely dried (about 5 minutes) apply the treatment, but don't rub too hard, apply it as gently as possible. The active ingredient in this treatment is benzoyl peroxide. I had used this in the past and it was extremely irritating. However, this is just enough to be potent, but not so much as to aggravate your skin. The 2.5% is JUST right. I am an advocate for going natural whenever possible, BUT when you are truly battling with your acne, this is the best place to turn, in my experience. PLEASE NOTE:

Large



Finally, the moisturizer. Moisturizing is so very important. Because benzoyl peroxide can be very drying, following it up with a quality moisturizer is extremely important. This lotion is noncomedogenic, meaning it will not clog your pores. It is made with extract of liquorice root, which is very healing. 
Large
I still have some scaring from old break outs, that left little red marks that I am trying to deal with, but overall, I now have what I call "happy skin".




Have you had to battle with your skin? What worked for you in the end?





No comments:

Post a Comment